Pollinator Information & Resources
Suggested resources and information may be submitted to City Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
*(Title IX: General Regulations. Chapter 90: Management of Public and Private Property 90.112 Managed natural lawn area)
Pollinator Resources from the MN Board of Water and Soil Resources:
- Pollinator Toolbox
- Lawns to Legumes Program
- FAQs (pdf)
- BWSR Pollinator Plan (pdf)
- Protecting Minnesota's Pollinators Brochure (pdf)
- Protecting Conservation Plantings from Pesticides (pdf)
- Planting for Pollinators (pdf)
Native Plant Gardens
- Minnesota Wildflowers provides a list of what's currently blooming and search tools for identifying plants
- Blue Thumb Plant Finder allows user to enter a set of conditions (light exposure, plant type, bloom time) and creates a list of plants based on these conditions
- List of Native Plant Suppliers & Landscapers from the MN DNR
- Landscaping with Native Plants (DNR) (PDF)
- Going Native - A Prairie Restoration Handbook for Minnesota Landowners (DNR) (PDF)
- Landscaping with Native Plants (DNR)
- Minnesota Native Plant Society
- Minnesota Noxious Weeds
- Find out which plants support pollinators at the Planting for Pollinators website from the University of Minnesota.
- Learn how to help bees and others from the University of Minnesota Bee Lab.
- Find regional pollinator plants lists at the The Xerces Society website.
- The US Forest Service has great tips for creating a pollinator-friendly landscape around your home.
- Test your knowledge about Monarch Butterflies with the University of Minnesota's Monarch Lab Monarch Quiz.
- How to Grow Your Own Butterfly Garden
- How to Plant a Bee Garden - Design, Flowers, and More
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture Pollinators Summit: Summit Outcomes Report
- Yale Environment 360 article: "Urban Refuge: How Cities Can Help Rebuild Declining Bee Populations"
- U of M Extension Services Master Gardeners
- U of M Extension Yard & Garden
- Bee City USA: What is a Bee City?
- Conservation Minnesota
- Bluestem Prairie: News from Greater Minnesota and South Dakota
- Clean Water Action
- National Wildlife Federation
- MN Department of Natural Resources
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services: How to build a pollinator garden
- UMN Bee Lab
- UMN Extension Native Plants Page
- UMN Soil Testing Laboratory
- MN DNR Native Plant Suppliers
- Creating Pollinator Gardens: Flower Fragrances to Attract Pollinators
City of North Mankato and MN Native Landscapes Educational Webinar- "Trading in Turf Grass - Planting for Pollinators" Recording - April 2021