- It is unlawful to keep a dog within the City without first obtaining a license. A license must be obtained for all dogs over 6 months old.
- A collar tag must be worn at all times when the dog is off the owner's private property.
- Dogs must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet and under the owner's control when off the owner's property.
- It is unlawful to permit dogs to run at large at any time day or night.
- It is unlawful for any owner of a dog to permit such dog to disturb the peace and quiet of the neighborhood by barking, howling or whining.
- It is unlawful to allow dogs in City parks even when on a leash. However; there are the following exceptions to this rule:
OBTAINING A LICENSE
Your dog license may be obtained at the North Mankato Municipal Building, 1001 Belgrade Avenue, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
To acquire a dog license you must bring a current rabies vaccination certificate to be kept on file with the City. You may have your vet fax a copy to our office (fax: 507-625-4525).
If your rabies vaccination expires during this two-year period, please provide us with a current certificate at the time it is issued to you by your veterinarian.
If you no longer have your dog, please let us know by calling 625-4141.
The dog license fees are as follows:
Neutered Male or Spayed Female $10.00
Male or Female $20.00
To replace a lost license tag $2.00
CLEANING UP AFTER AN ANIMAL
The City Code specifies the following: "The owner of any animal or person having custody or control of any animal shall be responsible for cleaning up any feces of the animal and disposing of the feces in a sanitary manner whether on their own property, on the property of others or on public property." Violation of these code provisions is a misdemeanor and is subject to the penalties set for by statute.